This is an inflammation of the layers of the eye. The jelly-like material in the center of ball-shaped eye is surrended by 3 different layers. The outer layer is Sklera, the inner layer is Retina which allows us to see and Uvea is in the middle. Uveitis is the inflammation of Uvea. There are many tiny vanes feeding our eye in the Uvea. But the inflammation also affects the other layers and tissues in the eye. This situation which requires an expert is uveitis may give a serious thread to our vision The treatment can only be succesful provided that this disease is understood, accepted by the patient well and treated on time.
It may affect either the uvea only or all the layers (Coroid, Iris) at the same time. This is not same as other infectious inflammations. On the contrary, it may also have started by infectious then continues due to the changes in our immune system. This makes it very complicated and varied from one patient to the other. The treatment plan must be very personal as itself. The dosage of the medication in the treatment must be determined by only expertises in Uveitis.
The reason can not be diagnosed 30-40% of the uveitis patients. They could be viruses, fungal infections and parasites or any symptoms of other sickness appeared in the eye. Therefore it may require different kind of examinations and tests to find it out. Some systematic diseases such as Behçet’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis or spondilite anchilosante may also cause this disease.
DISEASES WHICH MAY CAUSE UVEITIS
- Behçet’s disease
- Tuberculosis, Herpes etc.
- Eye traumas or surgeries
- Immune System Disorders, Rheumatism, Ulser etc.
- Sensitivity to the light,
- Blurry or cloudy vision,
- Redness in the eye,
- Severe pain in or around the eye,
Uveitis is an emergency case at any level. When medical intervention is applied late, it may progress for worse and cause permanent diseases like dysmorphosis on the iris, cataract or glaucoma. The first thing to do is to get examined by an expert as soon as possible. The later you may visit your doctor the worse the vision loss to be.
In same cases, Uveitis can be diagnosed at first sight. Even in these cases, FFA or Ultrasonography is mandatory to find out any possible threat to the vision. Afterwards, Rheumatologists, experts in dermotology or chest diseases or neurologists may carry out some joint researches.
· Treatment of any possible causing disease
· Sun glasses may help
· Daily activities usually are not limited. But , if the vision is reduced by the sickness or drops that are used to enlarge iris, it is not recommended to drive or works which require utmost care
· Diet: There is no spesific diet unless steroid use is necessary for the treatment. If so, No-Salt Diet is applied.
· Eye Specialist’s treatment: :
· Medication: Eye drops, steroids or injections.
· Medication used to improve immune system.
· Treatment of the disease which may cause Uveitis can also be beneficial.
It is important to follow up the patients due to the fact that, some significant symptoms can also be observed during the examination or follow-up. These diagnoses are vitally important to your treatment.