This is a common inflammation of the eye lids with dry eye or bacterial infections. Some kind of skin conditions may also cause inflammation of the eyelids. It occurs where the eyelashes are.
- Watery or red eyes
- A gritty, burning sensation in the eye
- Eyelids that appear greasy, swollen or itchy
- Skin Flakes around the eyes
- Crusted eyelashes upon awakening
- Eyelid sticking
- More frequent blinking
- Sensitivity to light
- Eyelashes that grow abnormally (misdirected eyelashes)
- Loss of eyelashes
Eyelid examinations or swabbing skin tests help diagnose the disease. It can be diagnosed in a normal or regular eye exam since the inflammation can be seen very clearly.
- Cleaning the affected area : It is very necessary to keep the affected area by cleaning regularly with a warm cloth.
- Medications : In case of bacterial inflammation, Eyedrops containing antibiotics help control the disease.
- Steroids or ointments. Eyedrops or ointments containing steroids can help control inflammation in your eyes and your eyelids.
- Artificial tears. Lubricating eyedrops or artificial tears are also very usefull for the blepharitis.
- Treating underlying conditions. Blepharitis caused by seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea or other diseases may be controlled by treating the underlying disease.
Unfortunatelly, it can relapse quite often althouh treated well.